We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to enhance the current Employment Insurance system to ensure universal access to it:
– By lowering the eligibility threshold to 350 hours or 13 weeks (instead of 420 to 700 hours);
– By establishing a minimum threshold of 35 weeks of benefits (instead of 14 weeks);
– By increasing the benefit rate to 70% of salary based on the best 12 weeks of salary (instead of 55%);
– By annually indexing the levels of the family supplement (including a retroactive readjustment as of 1997), calculated based on individual income rather than family income;
– By eliminating total exclusions resulting from resignation or misconduct; and
– By amending the Employment Insurance Act so that any absence related to pregnancy, maternity or parental responsibilities does not prevent access to regular Employment Insurance benefits.