We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the House of Commons to commit to a National Plastic Strategy which includes:
1. An education and public awareness campaign highlighting the scope and impact of global plastic pollution;
2. A ban on the manufacturing, distribution and use of all plastics that cannot be recycled;
3. A ban on all single-use plastics that are hard to recycle and most often end up in landfills or waterways;
4. A commitment to encourage a circular plastics economy by keeping recyclable plastics out of landfills and instead reusing them in a closed-loop system effectively saving billions in manufacturing costs while producing less waste;
5. A commitment to invest in the infrastructure, on a municipal, provincial and federal level, to collect, sort, process, recycle and re-use all plastic packaging;
6. A Zero Plastic Waste Canada by 2030, by ensuring all plastic packaging is 100% recyclable, re-usable or compostable.